Thursday, July 3, 2014

No mo' Facebook

You never really know how entrenched in your life facebook is until you delete it.

Recently I made the decision to abandon facebook.  There is very little social interaction there anymore and most all of it is people showing me what they ate, pictures of their kids (which you're nearly always obligated to like it or say some cute thing... even if the kid looks like kid wasn't all the way done yet), pictures of where they are or something that I wasn't worried about.  I was lucky.  Most of my friends list used good grammar and were able to spell well. 

It was a great idea. 

Then business got a hold of it.

I truly don't think targeted marketing is such a bad thing.  It does benefits the consumer.  It makes products and services available to them that fit what they're looking for that they may not know about.  That really is not bad.  It also keeps the market competitive.  It benefits the economy and we do need that.  Selling that information or giving it to the government to build a list of predictable behaviors that someone may engage in is a little too Minority Report for me.

Literally seconds after I received several emails.  One from Microsoft even told me it wasn't anything to panic about.  I could just reactivate my Facebook account and it would be ok.  I wasn't worried.  There was nothing for me to calm down about. 

Sure, people may miss me.  Though, truthfully, that will be their own damn fault.  I'm still alive.  I have more damn gadgets interconnected than I probably should have, even enough I should be slightly ashamed for anman my age (I'm not so....).  If someone can't pick up the phone, I probably dont need them and they're probably not really friends anyway.

Maybe later.  Today, there's other things to do.  Healing myself.  Studying.  Anything but looking at your food and kids.

And yes, some kids, I'm sorry..... are flat out ugly.  We all know it.  It's ok.  They grow up.  Look better sometimes. 

No comments: